Social Media and Globalisation-The Impact

Social Media and Globalisation-The Impact 

Defining your social media usage:

Social Media App

How often do I use the app?

Why do I use the app?

Snapchat

-When I wake up in the morning 

-Throughout the day 

-Before I sleep

It is my source of communication with my friends 

Instagram 

-Around 45- minutes-1 hour a day

When I am bored its something to do and entertaining

Tik Tok

-Around 2-3 hours a day

When I am sitting doing nothing it is something to do, therefore when I am bored I go on it.  It's interesting to watch


Web 1.0
-The 'Web' was initially developed in 1991 by Sir Tim Berners-Lee 
-It was originally an information space, wherein consumes could access information 
-It was fairly static, though hypertext (i.e. text that could be linked) was developed 
-1990-200 

Web 2.0
-A term coined by Tim O'Reilly and Dale Dougherty in 2004
-Essentially, it is the theory that websites increasing offered the potential for audience participation and collaboration 
-In 2004, David Gauntlett suggested that traditional modes of media 'gatekeeping' (mediated to the 'little people' by 'media gods') were gradually being eroded, and consumers were given a voice through enhanced web technologies becoming prosumers (someone creating their own media content)
-Gatekeeping-traditional method whereby large companies or creates would provide content to consumers and would be unable to respond to it or make their own content 
-These sites allow users to integrate and collaborate with one another which wasn't able to happen in Web 1.0
-This shapes the relations of public/private work/non-work (how you use web 2.0 is different at home to work)
-Mobile phones enhance social connections 
-2000-2010

Web 3.0
-The semantic web, was a term first called by John Markoff in 2006 
-It's the process of allowing machines to understand the meaning of hyperlinked information to personalize content to audiences 
-The web becomes 'intelligent' - it tracks your preferences and habits 
-2010-2020

Web 4.0

-The future 

-The databases of personal information 

- Potential for intelligent avatar agents acting, for example, as shopping assistant for audiences 

-2020-2030


Social Media Channels:

-Social media used by individual members of the public, media producers, celebrities, commercial businesses, political activists, new agencies, charities, and many more other groups to communicate and reach out to audiences 

-The channels are the different types of products used in order to do this 


Prosumers: CREATE USER GENERATED CONTENT (UGC)--primarily referees to non-professionals generating the content 


Social Media Channel 

A person who uses it

Why he/she uses it

Instagram

10-45= commercial businesses, media producers, charities

Personalized content

Snap Chat

11-25= individual members of the public

Source of  communication

Tik Tok

10-25= individual members of the public, commercial business, 

Entertaining, content can be unpredictable, introducing you to new areas of the platform

Twitter

25-50=political activist, news agencies, media producers

Conversational 

Facebook

15-50=commerical activities, charities, news agencies 

Communicative with family and friends 


Different Social Media Channels:
-LinkedIn
-Flickr
-Spotify
-Pinterest 
-Tumblr
-Google+
-Vine
-Kickstarter
-Snapchat 
-SoundCloud


Comments